Join the U.S. Department of Energy
February 7, 2023, at 11:00 AM - 3:00 PM PT at San Diego Convention Center, Level 3 Room 9
Participants must be registered for DISTRIBUTECH International or GridTECH Connect, registration for this event is complimentary.
This boot camp will use a set of open-source and commercial software tools to show the value of good data, analysis methods, and automation in the study of DER hosting capacity and impacts.
- We’ll begin with an overview of the study process, including a set of up-to-date references.
- Participants will be divided into teams of two or three people, ideally representing different stakeholders and regions.
- Each team will then work on a sample study of utility-scale DER interconnection, situated in a public test system such as the IEEE 8500-node (suburban, radial) or the IEEE 390-node (urban, secondary network). The tools available include OpenDSS, GridLAB-D, NRECA’s Open Modeling Framework, and GridUnity.
- Participants will be able to run analyses on their laptops and/or in the cloud, using installers, cloud-based software, and feeder models pre-configured by the presenters.
- The sample problems will highlight the impact of simplifying assumptions, missing or incorrect data, overlooked phenomena, etc.
- The boot camp will close with a discussion of how to bring any learnings back home